Now Open for the Off-Season MarketsSunday, February 25
2018 Off-Season Markets:
Sunday, March 25
Sunday, April 22
Off-Season Farmers Market Location:
Summit on the Park Banquet Hall
46000 Summit Parkway, Canton
The Canton Farmers Market is now open for the off-season markets. Come join us as we prepare for our regular season. See some of your favorite vendors, food trucks, musicians, and entertainers!
Regular Season Farmers Market Dates:
The regular season market will take place every Sunday from 9:00am-1:00pm beginning May 13, 2018
Regular Season Farmers Market Location:
500 N. Ridge Road, Canton
The Canton Farmers Market is an open air market which offers Michigan produce, locally produced food and hand-crafted goods. The Market is held rain or shine, as the farmers still harvest their produce and bring it to the Market, no matter what the weather.
Senior Project FRESH!
The Canton Farmers Market will now accept Senior Project FRESH (video) program vouchers. For more details, contact the Market Manager at 734/394-5375.
At the Market, you can listen to live entertainment while shopping for local goods, stroll through the Historical Society Pole Barn filled with displays and get a glimpse of Canton's farming past and even do some laundry, the old fashioned way.
Cooking enthusiasts can learn from local chefs as they cook with seasonal produce and gardeners can find out answers to lawn and garden questions at the Master Gardener Volunteer tent. Market Kids can listen in on Canton Public Library Story Time, participate in interactive music activities with Ms. Carissa, jump in the bouncer and create a weekly craft. With cooking and gardening workshops, entertainment, kids activities and historical building tours, there is something at the Market for all ages.
Market News:Join our Farmers Market e-newsletter to receive regular email updates about upcoming market activities and vendors. Join Now
- Off-Season Markets
- This Week at the Market
- Vendor Info
- Rally on Ridge
- NEW! Healthy Food Connect: Canton For Seniors 55+
- Market Cooking
- Market Kids
- Food Assistance
- Special Events
- Community Gardening
- Canton Historical Society
- Support the Market
- Dog Park
- Market Resources
- Why Buy Local?
Off-Season Markets: Winter/SpringJoin us on our Off-Season market dates, which provide a great opportunity to visit local food growers and producers during these indoor Markets.
Our Off-Season Markets are held in the Summit on the Park Banquet Lobby, located at 46000 Summit Parkway, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Mark Your 2018 Calendars!
- February 25
- March 25
- April 22
See you at these markets!
This Week at the Market
Canton Farmers Market - 2018 Regular Season is closed for the seasonThank you for your continued support of the Canton Farmers Market.
2018 Regular Season Market: Every Sunday, May 13 - October 14 from 9 am - 1 pm
Tentative Vendor List:
500 N. Ridge Road
Canton, MI 48187
Live Cooking Demonstration
Dates and Chef's: TBA
- Weekly activities
Dates and Artists: TBA
Weekly topics: TBA
Watch for weekly opportunities to support area youth organizations, school groups, and non-profits. Contact the Farmers Market Manager for information if you would like to sign your group up to participate at the market.
Food Assistance Programs Accepted
See you at the Market!
The mission of the Canton Farmers Market is to offer accessibility to healthy local food and promote a healthy lifestyle, while building community. The Market encourages direct communication between the grower or food producer and the buyer.
Who can apply?
Michigan farmers, local food producers and local artisans, who are directly involved in the growing and/or production of their items are allowed to participate.
Are distributors of locally produced goods that are not produced by the seller allowed to participate?
Distributors of locally produced hard-to-source items, such as eggs, meat, maple syrup, cheese, and grains are subject to Market Administrator approval.
Are global multi-level marketing companies allowed to participate?
Since the items being sold are not locally produced or hand crafted by the person selling the items, multi-level marketing companies are not eligible to participate.
Farmers Market Wait List
At this time, there is a wait list for Market vendors. If you are interested in being added to the wait list, please contact the Farmers Market Coordinator or complete a Vendor Inquiry Form. Vendors are added from the wait list based on product category, current Market needs and customer demand. Each VENDOR INQUIRY FORM will be kept on hand for the current season.
Non-Profit ParticipationBecause of a recent increase in interest from non-profit community groups seeking to have a presence at the Canton Farmers Market, program administrators have established a calendar of dates and booth availability ensuring that these opportunities remain fair and equitable while remaining in line with the Market's mission. To become involved please complete the NON-PROFIT AND COMMUNITY GROUP INTEREST FORM.
If booth space is currently available for remaining Market dates, program staff will reach out to you by email or phone to discuss additional details.
All Non-Profit Participation forms will be kept on file for the current farmers market season.
Please contact the Market Manager at email@example.com with any questions.
2018 Rally on Ridge
What is Rally on Ridge?
A festive evening of food, fun, music, and more! Featuring live acoustic musicians, children's activities, and more than a dozen pop-up food vendors and trucks from all over the region, with a bevy of drool-worthy, fresh, local menu options that'll make you wish you wore an elastic waistband!
A portion of food truck sales will directly benefit programming at the Canton Farmers Market. The picturesque porch of the Bartlett-Travis House will feature some fantastic silent auction items donated by Market Chefs, Market Vendors, and Local Businesses. 100% of Silent Auction proceeds will benefit the Market.
When Do We Rally?
Saturday, July 21, 2018 from 5:30 - 9:00 pm.
Where Do We Rally?
In the Cherry Hill Village Downtown District. We will have food vendors and activities available at both Preservation Park (500 N. Ridge Rd.), and Cherry Hill School School (50440 Cherry Hill Rd.), at the intersection of Cherry Hill and Ridge Roads.
NEW THIS YEAR!
- NEW DAY - SATURDAY!
More Important Details!
- Visit the Canton Historical Society at Preservation Park, who will open up the Historical Society Barn featuring educational displays related to agriculture and Canton's more rural roots. They will also be selling tickets for their upcoming Brews, Brats, and Bands at the Barn (B4) Fundraiser.
- The Village Theater will be open! Stroll through the current art exhibit on display, and take a sneak peak at load-in and rehearsal for The Michigan Shakespeare Festival and Spotlight Player's South Pacific. Public Restrooms are available inside.
The Following Food Truck/Vendor Line-Up is Tentative and Subject to Change:
Preservation Park Food Trucks:
Roanoke Ave. Food Trucks:
Cherry Hill School/Cherry Hill Village District Food Trucks/Carts:
Public Parking is available around the Cherry Hill Village, as well as at Preservation Park (500 N. Ridge Rd.) and the Canton Dog Park (Denton Rd. across from Fire Station #3).
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!
None of this deliciousness & family fun would be possible without the generous support of some amazing community sponsors and partners!
2017 Rally on Ridge Sponsors Include:
- Toll Brothers (Overall Event Sponsor)
- The Regner Team of Edward Jones, Financial Advisor (Entertainment Sponsor)
- Bright Side Dental (Entertainment Sponsor)
Contact our Rally Coordinator! Or call #734/394-5375.
Connecting Canton Area Seniors to Fresh, Nutritious, Local Food
The Canton Farmers Market was recently awarded a grant to launch its Healthy Food Connect: Canton program to help better connect Canton area seniors, who are 55 years of age and older, to fresh, nutritious, local food. Interested seniors may schedule an orientation with the market staff to receive a one-on-one tour of the Farmers Market and information about the food assistance programs currently accepted at the markets.
The first 300 participants to attend a scheduled orientation will receive $5 in Market Bucks to purchase eligible food products at the market. Monthly drawings for prizes will also be held for those who attend the market, so be sure to check in with the market staff each time you attend! In addition, the Canton Farmers Market will have weekly cooking demonstrations. Recipe cards will also be available so you can recreate each culinary masterpiece at home!
In addition, the Canton Farmers Market is partnering with HVA Mobility Transportation to provide FREE transportation for qualifying individuals to and from our upcoming winter and regular season markets. Participants who qualify can schedule their transportation directly with HVA's Call Center during their business hours: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm by calling: 734/477-6404.
For more information or to schedule an orientation, contact the Farmers Market Manager by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734/394-5375 and take advantage of this special program today!
Dates and Times of Upcoming Markets
- Regular Outdoor Market Season runs every Sunday now through October 15, 2017; 9 am - 1 pm; Market Closed July 2
500 N. Ridge Road
Canton, MI 48187
Free Transportation to Qualifying Seniors
- HVA Mobility Transportation will offer FREE round-trip rides to the Canton Farmers Markets
- HVA rides are completely free regardless of whether or not you already utilize HVA as your regular form of transportation
- HVA rides will not take from your monthly allotment of rides
- HVA rides do not require a ticket or payment
Your First Market Visit
- You will be given a brief tour to become familiar with the Market
- You will be given an orientation packet containing important information about the Market vendors and food assistance programs.
- You will be given $5 Market Bucks to spend at the markets!
- You will only receive these benefits if you schedule your visits as explained in the rules listed below.
Planning Your Visit to the Market1. Contact HVA Mobility Transportation to schedule a FREE ride from your home or chosen location to the Canton Farmers Market.
- HVA Call Center Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5 pm
- HVA Call Center Contact: 734/477-6404
- Rides Must be scheduled at least two days before each Market
- Reservations will not be accepted on Saturdays or Sundays
- The last pickup time from each Market will be at 1 pm to take you home
- Phone: 734/394-5375
- Email: email@example.com
- Check-in with staff each time you attend the market to be entered into monthly drawings!
Rules, Regulations, and Clarifications
- Three bag maximum for seniors utilizing HVA.
- Must be over the age of 55 to take advantage of this program (62+ to qualify for HVA transportation).
- Must schedule HVA rides for each individual Market.
- Must schedule orientation with Canton Staff for your first Market only.
- This program provides transportation to and from the Canton Farmers Market Only.
- No Exceptions will be made!
The Canton Farmers Market is partnering with Healthy Food Connect, the Michigan Health Endowment Fund and the Community Foundation of Southeast Michigan to launch Healthy Food Connect: Canton!
We appreciate all of their generous support and for promoting healthy living in our region. Thank you Canton Place, and
Market Cooking & More
Chef Kristi Zebrowski
Chef Kristi is a Personal Chef and owner of Grace Savory & Sweet, specializing in gluten-free baking mixes, seasoning blends and baked goods.
- Dates TBA
Chef Greg Richards
Chef Greg Richards, of Wok Asian Bistro, wants to bring a new twist to familiar cuisine, "There is no farm-to-table Asian out there, so we decided to bring it to life." Using fresh, locally sourced and organic ingredients, he focuses on balance within each dish to create unique combinations of flavors. Catch him on local tv as he is a frequent guest chef on Fox 2, Channel 7, and Channel 4!
- Dates TBA
Lunch at the Market
Throughout the market season, a variety of food trucks and pop-up vendors will set up shop on select market days creating a great spot to have lunch or just pick up a delicious snack. Choose from their tasty menus and then find a spot on the Bartlett-Travis House's front lawn to enjoy the sights and sounds of our open-air market.
The Canton Farmers Market is more than just shopping for fruits and vegetables, it also includes weekly kids activities and entertainment. As we get closer to the 2016 season, we will post updates on all of the fun that is coming to the market.
Canton Leisure Services Bounce House
Free for kids to enjoy on dates TBA (weather permitting). Kids are encouraged to wear socks.
Canton Public Library Story Time
Music with Ms. Carissa
Crafts & Fun with Macaroni Kids
Watch for weekly opportunities to support area youth organizations, school groups, and non-profits.
Market Kids - Sponsors & Partners
Canton Public Library: The Canton Public Library will lead us in several story times throughout the season. Be sure to visit their newly renovated Children's Library.
Macaroni Kid: Macaroni Kid is your local resource for activities, events and information for kids. They will be on-site assisting with several children's programs throughout the Market season.
The Canton Farmers Market participates in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Bridge Card Program) as well as the Double Up Food Bucks Program.
Beginning in May with the 2018 Regular Farmers Market Season, we will proudly begin accepting Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH and WIC FRESH!
Check out this quick video that helps explain how Senior Project FRESH works.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
Purchase Bridge Card tokens on your EBT card at the back porch of the House on site. Only EBT transactions for tokens can be performed at the Canton Market, no cash transactions.
Double Up Food Bucks ProgramBridge Card users, stretch your food dollars when you use your SNAP Bridge Card at the Canton Farmers Market. The Double Up Food Bucks Program will match what you spend up to $20 every Market day to buy fresh produce grown in Michigan. Tokens should be used by October 14 for the 2018 season.
Farmers Market Special Events
Throughout the season, we invite you and your families to join us for some exciting special events at Preservation Park. These events help to support future programs and activities at the park.
- Opening Day at the Market 2018 - May 13, 9 am - 1 pm: Enjoy live music, a Perennial Exchange, inflatable bounce house, Canton Public Library Story Time, and much more!
- Perennial Exchanges: Exchange extra plants, seeds and bulbs with other gardeners and learn tips from Canton's Master Gardeners. Dates TBA
- Bark in the Park - TBA: Pet lovers are invited to take part in activities and visit vendors at the Dog Park. Dogs are welcome to try out the Dog Park for free during the event; proof of vaccination records for current rabies and DHLPP vaccines required.
- Celebrate A Soldier - Presented by the Canton Historical Society - TBA: Canton was once home to many civil war soldiers, most of whom go unnoticed or remembered today. Help us commemorate their service by visiting the Cherry Hill Cemetery on Memorial Day Weekend to place a flower on a Canton Soldier's grave. Flowers will be provided; Free; Preservation Park
- Rally on Ridge 2017 - July 21, 5:30 - 9 pm: Join us for a festive evening of food, fun, music and more to benefit the Canton Farmers Market. Interested in being a food truck or sponsor at the event? Please email the Market Coordinator.
- Brew, Brats and Bands at the Barn - TBA: Enjoy an evening of live entertainment while you sample delicious Michigan Beer. Participation in the event goes to support the Canton Historical Society. Purchase tickets online and at the Summit on the Park or Canton Clerk's Office; Additional Ticket Information Coming Soon!
- Ghost Stories in the Cady-Boyer Barn: Participate in a spooktacular evening of local lore, presented by Judge Ron Lowe. Date TBA.
- More to Come! Check back throughout the market season for exciting upcoming events.
Master Gardener Volunteers at the Canton Farmers Market
Master Gardener Volunteers on their Community Service Awards!
Weekly at the Canton Farmers Market, dedicated volunteers provide seasonal lawn and garden information and displays on topics such as container gardening, composting, vegetable gardening and houseplants, just to name a few. The Group is also available to answer all your lawn and garden questions. Market shoppers bring photos of plants or leaves from a tree seeking advice from our garden experts.
Have a garden question? Ask a Master Gardener!
Plant Swaps are hosted by our MGV's at the Farmers Market in May and October. Bring your healthy, divided plants in a bag or container to the Master Gardener tent. Please label plants with name and bloom color.
- May 14, 21, 28
- Sept 17, 24, Oct 1 8, & 15
Canton Farmers Market (MGV) Projects
Our Canton Market Master Gardener Volunteer group is passionate about supporting and beautifying the Canton Community! In 2016 & '17, numerous gardens have been funded, planted and continue to be maintained by this generous, dedicated group.
- An amazing compost bin was constructed at the end of the 2016 Market Season near the west community gardens from recycled pallets and continues to be maintained by the Master Gardeners!
- The Co-op Community Garden located in our west community garden area at Preservation Park is planted annually with vegetables and herbs each spring. By mid-summer, bountiful harvests and deliveries of fresh produce are shared with First Step and TEFAP, The Emergency Food Assistance Program, because of these generous Master Gardener Volunteers.
- Master Gardener Volunteers worked with teachers and students at Liberty Middle School in Spring 2016 to grow indoor urban gardens from food scraps and recycled containers.
Community Garden Rental Program
Enrollment for the 2017 Community Garden Plot Rental Program is now open and available on a first-come first-serve rental basis. Please call Jacqui Spears at 734/394-5375 to reserve your space. By renting a garden plot at Preservation Park or at the Dog Park, you can grow your favorite organic veggies and herbs all summer long!
Our Co-op Community Garden was funded by a grant through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation at the end of 2012. The past few years, the garden has been funded, planted and maintained by the Canton Market Market Master Gardener Volunteer group with the support of our Market staff. The garden is harvested by volunteers and staff for the benefit of residents at First Step in Wayne as well as Canton's TEFAP recipients. If you would like to help support this project, please contact Jacqui Spears with the Canton Farmers Market.
Co-op Community Garden
Many thanks to vendor Mike Prochaska from Prochaska Farm and vendor, and Sissi Rodriguez of pick MICHIGAN, for generously supporting this project and the Canton Community!
Thank you to all of our Canton Farmers Market Master Gardener Volunteers for beautifying the Canton Community!
A special thank you to Victory Toyota of Canton and Victory Honda of Plymouth for donating fencing to our community gardens!
at the Canton Farmers Market
Canton Historical Society
Bartlett-Travis House Tours
Tours of the historic Bartlett-Travis House are offered on select Market dates during the regular season and are expected to resume in June. Stop by the Canton Leisure Services information table on the porch for more information.
Historical Society Pole Barn Activities and Displays
The White Pole Barn is filled with displays of Canton's farming past. Take a step back in time by strolling through the Barn, then do some laundry the old fashioned way and learn how to shell corn. The Pole Barn is open during the regular season Markets starting in June.
Take a walk through this pre-Civil War Barn and view the photos of Amish craftsmen dismantling the barn and rebuilding it at Preservation Park, using old craftsmanship and skills. The move from its original location at McClumpha and Joy was made possible by a generous donation from Bob Boyer, a local businessman. The Harvest Market is located inside the Cady-Boyer Barn on the Sunday, before Thanksgiving.
Support the Market!
Each week the Canton Farmers Market utilizes several volunteers to help out with the Info Booth, Kids Activities, Historic Building Tours and other activities. If you are interested in volunteering at the market, please check out our current
Farmers Market Special Events
Throughout the summer, the Farmers Market staff and volunteers will be hosting special events to support the weekly activities that take place at the market and Preservation Park. Upcoming events are updated regularly, please check back throughout the market season for ways you can support the market.
- Rally on Ridge 2018 (July 21, 5:30 - 9 pm): Come join us for a festive fundraising evening featuring food trucks, acoustic music, new beer garden at the barn, bouncer and kids activities, all located throughout the Cherry Hill Village District, including Preservation Park, Cherry Hill School, and more! Mellow with your family and friends while indulging in some gourmet local eats. The food truck vendor list will be updated as the event nears.
- Brew, Brats and Bands at the Barn (TBA): Join the Canton Historical Society Fundraiser to sample over 50 craft and specialty beers, brats, and live entertainment. Adults ages 21+ are welcome to purchase tickets at the Canton Treasurer's Office, Summit on the Park, or online. Ticket Information Coming Soon. Questions? Please call 734/394-5314.
Canton Dog Park
Canton's Preservation park is home to six-acres of fenced-in, outdoor space for dogs to run and play off-leash, with specific rules to help insure a safe and positive experience for everyone. Dog Park memberships can be purchased through the Clerk's office; for more information visit the Dog Park page.
Location: The Dog Park is located across from Fire Station #3 on Denton Road, north of Cherry Hill Road. Guests can also access the Dog Park by foot from the Preservation Park near the Community Gardens.
Questions: Please call the Parks Office at 734/394-5310 or email.
Special Programming at the Dog Park
Bark in the Park: May 21 11 am - 1 pm
Dog Park webpage
Dog Park facebook page
The Canton Farmers Market works with many local, state and national organizations to help keep you informed of the latest news on your produce, herbs, meat and dairy.
Visit our Pinterest page for more resources.
Michigan Farm Fresh Produce Availability Calendar (PDF)
Michigan Farmers Market Association
Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Cottage Food Law
Farmers Market FAQ
Guidelines for Providing Safe Food Samples at Farmers Markets (PDF)
Licensing at Farmers Markets
Michigan State University Extension
Farm and Farmers Markets
Food and Health
Lawn and Garden
Master Gardener Association of Wayne County
When you buy local, you are supporting the future of small farms and their ability to thrive. You also raise awareness of the importance of buying local among your friends, neighbors and community.
Local produce is fresher and more nutritious.
Buying local helps our environment
Since your meal from farm to table travels less time than from farm to grocery to table, which travels on the average about 1500 miles. There is also less pollution from unnecessary shipping packaging and fewer fossils fuels are burned during transportation, which means you are helping create a lighter carbon footprint.
Your dollars stay right in our local community helping it to thrive! When you buy local, you can talk to the farmer who grows or prepares your food, so you can find out the farmer's growing practices, and learn tips for storage and food preparation.
Your food choices make a difference. Buying local food helps create a stronger and more sustainable food system.